Skip to main content

A Beautiful Mind, A Beautiful Life: The Bubz Guide to Being Unstoppable - Lindy Tsang

"What better gift can you give someone than making them feel more beautiful inside?"

I decided to start the year of by trying to get inspired to work on and improve myself. I don't really have any resolutions for the new year, because I know I have trouble sticking to them, but I thought that starting the year with trying to get an even more positive outlook on life couldn't hurt.

Then, last December, Lindy Tsang (Bubzbeauty on YouTube) had her first book coming out! When I heard about the news, I dreaded it was going to be 'just another book', but she started telling about what she was going to be writing about and she got me really excited for this one. I've followed Lindy on YouTube for quite some years now and always found myself awestruck by her positive outlook on life and her knowledge of who she was. She, to me, is a rolemodel on how I would love myself to be: honest, real, kind and loving.

When the release date (December 12th) was announced, I ordered it straight away (and even paid quite a bit extra to have it shipped from the US to my home in the Netherlands within a week...)! I patiently waited out the last days of 2017 and started right after I got home January 1st. Now I've finished it and wow... it was quite a journey.



First of all, I think the cover is amazing. It's simple, yet beautiful. It includes what Lindy does (or where she started): make make up videos on YouTube. She may love make up, but she likes helping people more. The mission she gave herself is to make everyone more beautiful about themselves, which I find really inspiring.

I believe that, with this book, she can do just that. I think it's a powerful representation of what drives her and what she believes is: no make up can over up an ugly heart (which also makes me like the make up on the cover even more. To me, it kind of feels like a reminder of that belief of her).

Her writing was quite simple and sometimes a little generic, but there were some moments where her personality really shone through, like how she categorized 'Would you like extra-large fries with that cheeseburger?' as some of the most beautiful words in the world (and my gosh, is she right about that!).

With this book she tries to lead by example: she tells about her experiences and what she has learned from them, how those experiences in life impacted her life. She talks about what she took from those experiences, what she learned. Those lessons can help you, the reader, as well. She talks about thinking positively, being kind and forgiveness. What really inspired me was the part where she said "You cannot escape from you, so you might as well be your own best friend". Kindness to others is important, but kindness to yourself, though often overlooked, is the very most important kind of kindness.

Another part I loved was where she explained how important it is to give yourself some rest now and then. She did that by saying: "We all need time to rest and recuperate: our bodies, minds and souls. If you only charge your phone for five minutes, how can you expect it to run for the five hours you need?". I think this is a great description and really hits close to home.

After all, I loved getting to know Lindy so much better and reading about her experiences in life. This book is about getting to know yourself, becoming more positive, being kinder to yourself, giving your negative thoughts less power over you and realizing how truly beautiful we all are.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things - Bryn Greenwood

Eight-year-old Wavonna (Wavy) Quinn is the daugther of a meth-dealer knows not to trust anybody, not even her parents. S truggling to raise her little brother, Wavy is the only responsible "adult" around. She finds peace in the starry Midwestern night sky above the fields behind her house. One night everything changes when she witnesses one of her father's thugs, Kellen, a tattooed ex-con with a heart of gold, wreck his motorcycle. What follows is a powerful and shocking love story between two unlikely people that asks tough questions, reminding us of all the ugly and wonderful things that life has to offer. Well, the blurb was right: a shocking love story. The subject makes it quite hard to review, because I don't want to give anybody the wrong idea. So, to all of you reading this: I do not support these kind of relationships. "Odd couple that they were, they had a real connection." So, the subject made this a very ambigiuous story, as it

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli

Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised. With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met. I found out about this book through the first released footage of the m